This seared scallop dish can be presented as a passed hors d’oeuvre or plated option for your guests to enjoy this holiday season. The vanilla-lemon brown butter and applewood smoked bacon flavors effortlessly come together to create a memorable dish. 2059 Blount Road, Pompano Beach; 954.917.1020; silverliningcatering.com
- 4 cups fresh sweet corn off the cob
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. white miso
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. mirin
- Sweat shallot and garlic in butter until soft
- Whisk in miso paste until equally distributed
- Add cream and reduce by half on medium heat
- Blend in food processor and pass through a fine sieve, season with mirin and salt.
Vanilla lemon brown butter
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 lemon
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Brown butter slowly over medium heat, whisking constantly to avoid burning.
- Once you are at the browning point, turn off the heat and add the juice of one lemon.
- Whisk in vanilla. Put to side to cool.
Roasted mushrooms and bacon
- ¼ pound thick-cut bacon, diced
- 1 # preferred mushrooms cleaned
- 2 tbsp. white wine
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- Render bacon slowly in a pan under medium heat
- Remove rendered bacon, with the bacon fat remaining in the pan
- Turn the heat to high
- Add the mushrooms until golden brown
- Strain off fat
- Toss in thyme
- Deglaze with white wine and season with salt
- Toss the bacon back in and serve
- 16-20 pieces of U-10 scallops
- Pat the scallops dry with a towel, or paper towel, this step is crucial to getting the best color we can.
- Place your pan on a burner with high heat, add some of the bacon fat from earlier.
- Once the pan is smoking, season your scallops
- Place the scallops delicately in the pan about 1 inch a part, if too close together they will begin to steam, and it will be impossible to get good color. (this step may take several rounds, depending on size of pan)
- Cook each scallop about 2-3 minutes per side if you are looking for a nice medium. If you want them more cooked 4-5 minutes but no longer or they will be tough.
- Remove the scallops from the pan and serve.
This recipe is from our Winter 2021-2022 issue. Read more here.