If thoughts of melting makeup and running mascara have you wanting to bury your head in the sand, do not despair. Maggie Strunk, a Fort Lauderdale–based professional makeup artist, is here to help you save face and embrace the season. “Adjusting your summer routine is easy-breezy,” she says. “The modern South Florida girl can’t be bothered with baby-sitting her makeup. She should be enjoying a mojito instead!” Below are Strunk’s helpful hints for putting on a brave face this summer.
- Start your makeup routine every day with a moisturizing sunblock that has at least SPF 30.
- If foundation isn’t your speed, use a tinted moisturizer. If you feel you need more coverage, lightly treat the areas of concern with a concealer; tap in with fingers for a flawless finish.
- Use waterproof mascara for your lashes to avoid “transferring.”
- Bronzer is the best invention. Use a medium-sized fluffy brush and apply where the sun would hit: forehead, tops of cheeks, bridge of nose. Pro tip: Bronzer can also double as an eyeshadow.
- I love the look of a healthy, hydrated pout, so I start my clients off with a lip scrub to get rid of any dead skin. I then use a hydrating balm or gloss.
- To combat shine, carry blotting paper with you. If you are on the dry side and your T-zone oils begin to break through, use an expert face brush and buff your face to rejuvenate your makeup.
- Remember, when body heat rises, cheeks begin to flush, so go easy on the blush in summertime.
Maggie Strunk is available for hire for special events, weddings and everyday glamour. glambymaggie.com